Vellgander is the name of the final dungeon in the game. To unlock it, finish the game and save after the credits. When you'll load this save, Vellgander will unlock. It is not an area that can be visited normally, but a quest, where up to 6 people can participate.
- This dungeon is composed of 10 sections, with 5 floors each.
- Floors 1-4 consist of 4 corridors with a logic stone (remember to set home point), connected to 4 rooms with teleportation devices. Each of these rooms is connected with two additional rooms (8 in total).
- Floors 1-4 have the same layout, but monsters spawn randomly. In addition, 4 chests spawn randomly in the 8 outer rooms on each floor.
- The layout of each 5th floor will be one of three areas, but again monsters and treasure locations are random.
- 6th floor will transport you to a boss fight dependent upon the section of Vellgander you're currently questing through. Once all Vellgander sections have been unlocked, primary focus will be (if one decides to farm for codes) only on Sections 6 to 10 and the Upper Apex. Check Boss's & Codes for more info.
 How it works
- To go to the next floor, you first need to find crystals to activate the 4 teleporters marked with stars.
- The crystals are random drops from all monsters.
- Each room with a teleporter might restrict a skillset from use, with the effect that non skill from it can be used, while in this room. Possible restrictions: items, combos, elemental magic, axe...etc.
- When the 4 teleporters are activated, you can use any of them to go to the center area (which contains random monsters).
- The teleporter in its center will transport everyone to the next floor (no matter where they are on the map).
- You need to reach the 5th floor, complete the mission given to you (defeat targets or kill every monster) and defeat the boss to clear the section.
- The first time you clear a section, the loot box will give you the key item unlocking the next one.
- Section 1 becomes available when story is complete and requires only GR 15, but monsters there are very deadly at this point. So you should be prepared to meet your doom, if you dare to enter.
- Monsters in section 1 drop GR21 (tier 4) items. It's because the original GR was 21, but was reduced afterward.
- When visiting online, keep everyone together to maximize the number of crystals you get from kills.
- Before GR 22, vellgander is THE place for XP and leveling. Normal monsters yield roughly 1000 XP for one character, which is roughly 330 for 3 people, if you enter with story characters.
- For an explanation of UNIDs and which ones you can get in each section of vellgander, see this page.
- For Codes it's widely known that the drop percentage for all Vellgander section 1-10 codes will increase from 1% to 5% on one condition: do not defeat any type of elementals/fish and do NOT open any side rooms or chests through the duration of the quest. If just one person disregards this condition, everyone's Code percentage will be 1% at the end of the quest. When satisfied, everyone's Code percentage will be 5%.
 Chest hunt
- Here's the main thing making Vellgander different from every other quest.
- The 8 side rooms linked to the ones with the 4 teleporters contain 4 chests, and the content is more or less random.
- They often contain potions, resurrection items or armor parts (2 kinds for each Vellgander section and section 1 has LV 75 gear), but they may also contain random UNID gear.
- It's easy to open the side rooms, as they require the same crystal you use to activate the teleporter. So, in a chest run, you'll need 3 crystals of each kind (2 for the rooms and 1 for the teleporter) instead of only one in a classic run.
- So you simply kill enemies in each teleporter room, search side rooms for chests (but ignore enemies there). Then you move to the next floor.
- Entering the rooms in groups raise the chance to get more crystals, you can split in groups of 2 or 3 but might be better everyone gather together to check the rooms quicker and nobody is left out.
 Monster hunt
- Specific big monsters can easily be hunted in Vellgander. On lower levels, this can be done solo.
- Unlike what many people think, the big monsters appearing in the side rooms are not totally random.
- When entering a section of Vellgander, it is assigned a random element.
- You can see which element is active by entering one of the four inner rooms and check the elementals or fishes there.
- This determines the big monsters that may appear. See Big monsters and elements to see which monster is associated with which element.
- Important notice : if you are playing alone or with NPCs, you can easily farm monster breaks by repeatedly entering and exiting the room. But if you are playing with online partners, you'll need to run near the corridor for the break to reset, which can make it a slower process.
 How to
- Each of the four inner rooms (Ruby / Sapphire / Amber / Jade) represents an element. Normally in each room you will find the respective elementals:
- Ruby Room = Fire = Fire Elementals and Salamanders
- Sapphire Room = Ice = Ice Elementals and Remoras
- Amber Room = Earth = Earth Elementals and Gnomes
- Jade Room = Wind = Wind Elementals and Sylpheeds
- Occasionally you may find an elemental monster in a room that does not match above. That 'odd' element represents the current element of your Vellgander instance. For example if you find both Fire Elementals and Sylpheeds in the fire room, then you know the current element is Wind because a Sylpheed (being Wind) does not normally belong in the fire room.
- Some big monsters will only appear under a specific element. See the 'Big Monster and Elements' table below to determine the element required. If you do not have the proper element, then you will need to abort / restart the quest until you get the proper element setting.
- So if their element matches the type of big monster you search, check all 8 outer rooms. If not, leave the quest.
- Monsters in rooms respawn when the room is completely empty. So you can kill big enemies in outer rooms on one floor, until time runs out. This has the advantage, that you don't need to unlock the rooms with crystals repeatedly.
- So make sure to kill enemies in the outer rooms, even if the one you search is not present. This way, it might also spawn there on the next turn.
- Hint: The element never changes as long as you stay in the section. If the element isn't the one you need, leave the quest and create it again.
 The sections
 Big Monsters & Elements
- See Monster hunt to know how to use this table.
- Part of this was translated from the japanese wiki, so don't hesitate to correct mistakes you see.
 Bosses & Codes
Related ThreadsNeed help in Vellgander section 6! Need a strong team! - last post by @ Dec 19, 2012
Vellgander: Good for leveling and UNID items? - last post by @ Aug 30, 2011
What is the criteria for "S" ranking the higher Vellgander levels? - last post by @ Oct 25, 2012
Vellgander - last post by @ Jan 14, 2012
Monster hunt in Vellgander - last post @ Aug 10, 2011
This page has been accessed 128,475 times.